The organization informally exists since 2000, but it was registered under the name of the Center for Cultural Affirmation in 2004. In June 2011, it was reregistered in the Business Registers Agency and changed its name to the Independent Women's Center.
The mission and purpose of the organization are affirmation of women's rights, enhancement of the quality of life for women and children, fight against all forms of discrimination, sexual and gender-based violence, fight for peace and against wars and killings, development of civil society, promotion of creativity, innovation and education of women and children.
The objectives of the Independent Women's Center are the following:
- Promotion and protection of women's rights
- Empowerment of women for the purpose of their inclusion in all aspects of social life
- Fight against all forms of violence and discrimination against women
- Fight against all forms of human trafficking
- Commitment to the policy of peace in the region
The Independent Women's Center is one of the founders of ASTRA Network, whose mission is fighting against all forms of human trafficking. On the national level, we cooperate with Women in Black Network, Network of Women Fighting against Violence against Women, National Anti-Trafficking Team and Regional Centre for Minorities from Belgrade, and we are associated with other organizations of civil society in Serbia. On the local level, we maintain long-term close cooperation with the representatives of the police in Dimitrovgrad and Pirot, border police, comprehensive school, elementary school, Caribrod RTV and the Municipality of Dimitrovgrad.
The activities of the organizaton so far are the following:
- Involvement in all activities of the Women in Black Network and Network of Women Fighting against Violence against Women Regular distribution of material on women's rights together with Women in Black, Autonomous Women's Centre and Labris, starting from 2001 until today.
- Distribution of the material on shortening and abolishing military service, and introducing alternative civilian service.
- Distribution of the material related to the campaign 16 Days of Activism against Violence against Women, starting from 2001 until today, which was regularly reported about by the local RTV Caribrod and Bratstvo newspapers.
- Organizing lectures, workshops and seminars on human rights, women's rights and women's issues in Dimitrovgrad since 2001.
- Survey research of Dimitrovgrad citizens regarding their attitude towards abortion and violence against women.
- Distribution of humanitarian aid to poor women and residents of the Retirement Home in the city.
- Providing individual help to women victims of domestic violence in cooperation with the police. Over 50 workshops on the prevention of women and children trafficking were held in the elementary and comprehensive school, as well as 4 workshops in the Pedagogical Academy and Roma organization in Pirot, all in cooperation with the police.
- Taking part in the shows on human trafficking together with the representatives of the police on regional Pirot TV and Caribrod RTV over the last 10 years.
- In 2011, in cooperation with Women in Black and women from all organizations of civil society in Serbia, a performance entitled “Peace is when I live with dignity on my work” was held in order to commemorate May 24, the International Day for Peace and Disarmament, as well as May 28, the International Day for Women's Health and Reproductive Rights, at the same time.
- With the support from the Reconstruction Women's Fund, the organization has carried out 10 projects entitled "Women's Rights are Human Rights" since 2010 until now.
- The project entitled “Women's Road – Step by Step, Grab the Light, Forget the Darkness” was carried out in cooperation with the Committee for Gender Equality and Hristo Botev Elementary School and with the financial support of the Ministry of Labour and Social Policy under the auspicies of the United Nations for Development Program (UNDP). (8,000 USD)
The work of the Independent Women's Center is financially supported by the Municipality of Dimitrovgrad and the National Council of Bulgarian Minority in Serbia.
Caribrod RTV continually supports and reports on each organization activity.